Out of the Corner of Her Eye RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of the Corner of Her Eye RPG

Out of the Corner of Her Eye is a World of Darkness forum rp set in the lovely universe of Agatha Christie novels, with the added twist of a bit of the supernatural.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Charlotte

Charlotte

Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Empty
PostSubject: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 4:25 pm

Hastings comes up to the gamekeeper's cottage the long way, pausing to pat a white horse and her foal by the fence.

"Hello?" he calls from a bit of a distance, more alongside the stable. Caruthers had said the man, Mr. Drake, was in and available, but Hastings didn't very well want to just show up at his cottage door unannounced. Since finally pushing the car up to the lodge he's changed into more practical hunting tweeds and high boots with his rifle hung at his side, but it seemed sensible to alert his fellow grouse hunter to his presence and make doubly sure the exact location of the infamous quicksand. Perhaps he can also scout out those standing stones for Seyfried, as he seems so keen on them.
Back to top Go down
http://dastardlywhiplash.tumblr.com/
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 8:04 pm

The cottage that Caruthers has directed Hastings is at the end of the other estate cottages, easily the most dilapidated of the bunch. The window and door don't match the trim or exterior walls, and, from the outside it appears, to be just one room. A paddock is in front of the cottage, with white horses in it. A meadow extends beyond the paddock and the cottage, and you can see a bit of the construction work on the new golf course from here as well.

At Hasting's yell, 3 newfoundlands and a boarhound come running to the edge of the paddock, and the boarhound attempt to jump up on Hastings.

Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage 302q8o8
A huge man (broadshouldered and about 6'5) emerges from the cottage in tow, yelling at the dogs to stop. He is sporting a blue rainslicker and wellworn brown pants, however, what is most prominent about his appearance is his very shaggy hair and tangled, magnificent, beard. "Oi, Fang, off!" He turns to Hastings and smiles once he gets the dog off. "Sorry about that, sir. Can I help you with something?"
Back to top Go down
https://cornerofhereye.forumotion.com
Charlotte

Charlotte

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 8:55 pm

"Whoa there! Down boy!" Hastings steadies himself against the railing, managing to catch a hold of "Fang's" paws before the dog bawls him over. He has the look of one who prefers his dogs more medium-sized, but he appreciates the dog's cheerful greeting and pats him awkwardly on the head.

"Oh, ah, that's quite alright." He tugs his jacket back into place and adjust his Yorkshire cap before offering the man a hand. "You must be Mr. Drake--Captain Hastings, I'm staying over at the lodge. I'm sorry to take you from your work--I just wanted to give you the heads-up that I'll be grousing up there--" he gestures vaguely at the hills before reaching into his coat and pulling out a map, "and I figured I'd best ask a man who really knows the terrain if there's any blocked paths I should know about--or the quicksand. Is it as infamous as people make out?" He chuckles.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 2:46 pm

He smiles at Hastings. "Oh, call me Drake, Captain Hastings. Military man, are ya? Nice time of year to go grousing and you've picked just the place for it. Ah, the quicksand shouldn't be a large problem if you're smart about it. It isn't like in the films. It's mostly out in the woods. Watch them, being a bit overgrown as they are. You might want to head out toward the lake, there's mighty fine hunting that way." He points out past the meadow.

He looks at Hastings again, a little confused. "You wouldn't be heading out grousing by yourself, now would ya?"
Back to top Go down
Charlotte

Charlotte

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2016 6:32 pm

"Ah, well... I'm afraid so," Hastings sighs a bit disappointedly. "I was hoping I could get a group together among the other guests, but nobody seems very keen on hunting--I think they're all here for your local history and that murder mystery party." He looks from the map to the direction Drake pointed, squinting at the horizon.

"But, after Brazil, a spot of Devon countryside shouldn't be too difficult, eh?" He chuckles, shouldering his rifle. "I'll be alright." He shoots Drake a smile to say he appreciates the concern, though no doubt it's only part of the man's job.

"Oh, and if it isn't too much trouble--you wouldn't happen to have a spaniel or retriever I could borrow? These chaps are charming, but I worry they might frighten the birds." He pats one of the calmer newfoundlands on the side.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Drake looks at Hastings, concerned. "Forgive me for saying, sir, but I'm not sure it is wise to go off by yourself. The woods get mighty dark, being so overgrown. And a man all by yourself, you're bound to come across some of the unsavory characters. You may have handled...Brazil, was it?, but there's rumors about creepy things that lurk in these woods."
Back to top Go down
Charlotte

Charlotte

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2016 4:51 pm

" 'Unsavory characters' ?" Hastings inquires, squinting at the woods again incredulously. To be sure, they are rather over grown and dense compared to some of the other hunting grounds he's been too, but it seems such an odd thing to say about a piece of English woodland on such a bright, sunny day--in 1935 no less. "Why, how do you mean? Have you had trouble with poachers or squatters?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Drake looks at Hastings again, unsure how to continue without sounding mad. "Not so much trouble with poachers and squatters, but over the years, a couple of the young folk have gone missing in those woods. And no one's really sure what those ruins beyond those trees. There's talk of some magic doings there. You're welcome to take one of my hounds if you need it" he gestures to the boarhound at his side, "but they tend to get spooked within the forest, even in the daytime."
Back to top Go down
Charlotte

Charlotte

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 6:05 am

((Wits vs resolve, wits won.))

Fortunately for Drake, Hastings isn't the sort of person to dismiss him as "mad", though he sighs and sounds a bit as if he's resolving to humor him, taking one last look at the mysterious woods over the man's shoulder. The "magic doings" he simply chalks up to country folk and their superstitions, but the disappearances are rather worrying--after all, Poirot would say that there's always a dark reality behind any supernatural explanation, and it's often worse.

"All right, I'll take your advice and find a hunting partner tomorrow," he says good-naturedly, patting Fang on the head and leaning casually on the fence. "Em, listen... I hope you won't think this rude or macabre--I promise you, it's only a detective's assistant's curiosity talking--but the man who bought the estate, Mr. Carver--he's rather keen on attracting sporty types and vacationers, isn't he? Why would he choose a location so near a forest with such a dark history?"
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 10:31 pm

(OOC laughs at dark reality behind supernaturals but anyway...)

Drake gives a hearty laugh in response. "Good idea, sir! Most of the guests should be gathered for the opening of the murder mystery game, so then would be a good time to ask if anyone is interested in adventuring!"

"As for why Carter bought this estate, I really wouldn't know. He doesn't often share his thoughts with 'the staff' such as me. He might have with that young lad Nigel though. If he's liable to share any of his business plans with anyone, it's him."
Back to top Go down
Charlotte

Charlotte

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 12:35 pm

"Ah." Hastings nods understandingly and tips his cap. "I see--pardon my curiosity. You have a good evening then, Drake--hopefully I'll catch you again soon, with a friend in tow." He's tempted to ask more about the other focus of his morbid curiosity--the disappearances--but that seems a bit too much in bad taste--at least, to ask a man so clearly unnerved by the situation. He waves to Drake as he goes, resolving to ply the local bartender for gossip--who better?

((heading on over to the https://cornerofhereye.forumotion.com/t38-hastings-need-a-drink#171))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage   Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hastings stops by the gamekeeper's cottage
Page 1 of 1